Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon


 Local 1522 on Social Media:

October 01, 2022
<< October 2022 >>
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

         NLFD Video


           NFPA 1710 Video

             Fire based EMS
        "The right response"


      NLFD Pipes & Drums  

              NLFF's at work

IAFF Local Newswire
Join the Newswire!
Updated: May. 22 (07:56)

Welcome Message
St. Clair Shores Firefighters Union
Regular Business Meeting
IAFF Local 3598
Bubba's 33 Survivors Fund Fundraiser
Albuquerque Area Fire Fighters
Free COVID at Home Test Kits
Palm Beach County Fire Fighters Employee Benefits Fund
Colorado Rockies Tickets - Seats still Available
Denver Firefighters Local 858
Nov 06, 2016

Feb 18, 2008


Look Out, Below!

New London firefighers Rocco Basilica, left, and Harry Reed tear down a section of plywood facade from a building at 143 State St. in New London on Monday after high winds caused one of the sheets to fall to the sidewalk.

There were no reported injuries, but State Street was closed while the department made hasty repairs


Jan 27, 2008
Officials, Firefighters Turn Out In Force For NL Blaze
By Matt Clark    Published on 1/27/2008

New London - It's not often that a fire prompts the response of 19 firefighters and the City Council, but that's exactly what happened Saturday morning.

A house fire at the corner of Elm Street and Lincoln Avenue displaced five or six tenants who lived in the multifamily clapboard-and-brick home at 119 Lincoln Ave., owned by Peter T. Millaras.

In a fortunate twist of fate, the New London Fire Department was preparing an open house at its downtown headquarters when the 911 call came in, which allowed the department to respond to the fire with 19 firefighters, according to Battalion Chief Thomas Curcio.

In another coincidence, several members of the City Council happened to be touring city-owned facilities Saturday morning and were nearby when the fire broke out.

Councilors Mike Buscetto III, Rob Pero, Adam Sprecace, Margaret Peg Curtin and Mayor Kevin Cavanagh looked on as the firefighters finished up at the scene.

At 10:52 a.m. city firefighters were called to the home for a structure fire. The blaze was extinguished quickly. None of the residents in the house were harmed, but one firefighter might have suffered a back injury. By 11:30 a.m. the fire was out, and the American Red Cross was on the scene to help those who were displaced.

We hit this thing pretty hard, Curcio said at the scene. We were able to make a real quick stop.

Always ready,Sprecace said, praising the fire department for its quick work.

The cause of the fire is unknown and was still being investigated at 4 p.m. Saturday, Curcio said.


Jan 24, 2008
Heed CO Detector's Warning, Officials Urge
By Izaskun E. Larrañeta ,    Published on 1/24/2008





New London — That beeping noise from your carbon monoxide detector may be more than just a low-battery warning.

It could be telling you that toxic gases are filling your home.

Anne Hunziker and her husband, John, heard their CO detector go off Sunday in their Gardner Avenue home, but they didn't think much of it.

They changed the batteries and continued with their daily activities.

“We both felt a little lightheaded,” said Anne Hunziker. “The next day I didn't feel so great. I went to lie in bed and then the detector went off again. I thought this was strange, so I called 911.”

When fire personnel arrived, they found that low levels of carbon monoxide were seeping into the home through a burner arranged to look like logs in a fireplace.

The Hunzikers were taken to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, where they were treated for two hours.

“Once gas devices start failing, they can get exponentially worse,” said Calvin Darrow, the city's fire marshal. “Eventually the carbon monoxide levels would have been high enough that it could have resulted in death.”

In the last two days, New London firefighters responded to two carbon monoxide incidents, the Hunzikers' and a house on Ocean Avenue on Tuesday. The occupants at the Ocean Avenue home did not require medical treatment.

Darrow said that many times people confuse the beeping noise for a low-battery warning and do not call the proper officials because they don't want to bother fire personnel.

Hunziker said she didn't immediately call 911 and instead called the routine line, which is unanswered on weekends, because she wasn't sure if it was a real emergency and didn't want to see fire crews unnecessarily line her street.

But Darrow said that could have been a deadly mistake.

“Unless you are completely sure that it is the battery, call 911 and immediately get out of the home,” said Darrow. “Don't hesitate to call.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 500 people each year die of unintentional CO exposure and an estimated 15,000 emergency room visits can be attributed to CO exposure.

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning fossil fuels. It is a colorless and odorless gas that is not only deadly but deceptive: CO poisoning often disguises itself as other illnesses.

The Hunzikers' CO detectors were one of several hundred that were installed by city fire inspectors for free. Last year, fire inspectors received a $29,000 Federal Emergency Management Agency grant to install smoke and CO detectors throughout the city.

Darrow said the city still has some detectors available, and anyone who is interested should call the Fire Marshal's Office at 447-5294.

The Hunzikers are certainly grateful they had their CO detectors installed.

“I can't say enough about the fire department,” said Anne Hunziker. “They blew out the house with big blowers, secured the home and brought the keys to the hospital. I hate to say it, but if it weren't for those detectors we may not be around.”

New London

Jan 16, 2008
Firefighters Kept Spirit Alive During Holidays
Published on 1/13/2008

I salute the New London Fire Department for hosting a delightful children's party this season. My children enjoyed the free drinks and doughnuts and a special visit from Santa. His personalized attention to each child reassured my doubting 4-year-old that Santa Claus “Sees you when you're sleeping and knows when you're awake . . .”

What a surprise it was for all of us that Santa gave him exactly what he was wishing for. Great job in keeping the holiday spirit alive.

Heather McGrath
New London


Jan 12, 2008
Street With Flames In Its History
By Kathleen Edgecomb    Published on 1/7/2008

What's up with Truman Street? The relatively short road in New London was at one time packed with homes and apartments, auto repair garages, restaurants, a school and the regional office of the state Department of Motor Vehicles. Today, there are a couple of convenience stores, a laundry, a church, fewer houses and apartments and more auto repair garages and used car lots.

But it might very well be the hottest street in the city.

Over the years, Truman Street, which is less than a half-mile long from Bank to Jay streets, has been the scene of at least eight fires. There were fatalities in three of them. A total of seven people died.

The most recent, on New Year's Day at 28 Truman St., has been ruled arson. No one was injured in that blaze, but the house was destroyed. It is just a few feet from the now empty lot at 30 Truman, where, in 1996, a 25-year-old man died of smoke inhalation in a fire.

On Feb. 1, 1993, a horrific fire raged through a three-story Greek Revival at 91 Truman. It was so cold, water on the road froze instantly. A firefighter died of a heart attack at the scene. The next day, the bodies of three people were discovered inside the ice-encased house. It was dreadful.

A few months later, after the ice thawed, the building was razed. It was hard to believe such a large building and such a giant tragedy took place in such tiny opening on the city streetscape.

In December 1994, 92 Truman St. caught fire. No was injured, but six families were left homeless after the fire took out the heat and water in the three-story structure. In 2001, a two-family Cape Cod-style house at 861/2 Truman St. was destroyed. Last year, firefighters put out a mattress fire in the former DMV office.

In March 2002, a grandmother and her 6-month-old granddaughter were killed in a fire that ripped through a large wooden house at the corner of Blinman and Truman. That house was later razed.

And going back even further, on Thanksgiving 1977, Dante's, a popular Italian restaurant that served corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day, blew up. The building was shaken off its foundation and two tenants who lived upstairs ran for their lives. The remains of the building at 52 Truman St. were later torn down.

Despite all the destruction, Gloria Hatfield, who has lived on Truman Street for 57 years, says her neighborhood is no more prone to fire than anywhere else in the city. In fact, Hatfield loves her neighborhood and the tenants she has had over the years in the five apartments she rents out.

“You have to remember, we are a very busy street,'' says Hatfield, who worked for years in the New London City Clerk's office.

Hatfield became aware of the fire across the street just before midnight last Tuesday. She could hear the fire engines coming. Five minutes later, flames were shooting into the sky.

Hatfield, who loves her old home with its tall ceilings and big rooms, wouldn't trade it for a more compact and easier-to-care-for condo, even though her family wants her to.

But, she admits, the New Year's Day fire hit close to home.

“It was the saddest thing,'' says Hatfield, who watched from inside as firefighters “worked like the devil” to contain the blaze. “This one, across the street, it was scary.''

Kathleen Edgecomb's column will appear every other Monday. She can be reached at


Jan 07, 2008
Residents At Group Home Forced To Evacuate By Fire

Published on 1/7/2008

New London — Residents at the Seaview Apartments group home at 264 Hempstead St. were relocated to a nearby facility when a fire broke out at the complex on Sunday.

New London Fire Chief Ronald Samul said that around 5:45 p.m. a fire started in an apartment on the second floor of the building and extended into an adjacent apartment.

The fire marshal's office is still investigating the cause of the fire.

New London Battalion Chief Marc A. Melanson said there was damage inside the two apartments and collateral damage to a few of the other apartments.

Melanson said approximately 12 residents from the group home have been relocated to another facility. None needed medical treatment. New London Fire Department responded and Red Cross was on scene.


Jan 05, 2008
Police Pursuit Ends In Crash
   Published on 1/5/2008




New London — Police were searching for the driver of late model Kia station wagon Friday night after the Kia and a police cruiser wrecked on Shaw Street at Denison Avenue.

Police at the scene said the cruiser had signaled the Kia to stop, but the driver turned off the lights and sped away. A moderate speed chase, police said, ended when the Kia, possibly hitting the ice left by a broken water line at 9 Denison Ave. failed to make the right turn onto Shaw Street.

Both cars ended up in the bushes between two residences. The Kia sideswiped the entire driver's side of a van that was parked on Shaw Street.

Two police officers and one person who was in the van went to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.

Meanwhile, police with help from Amtrak police began a search for the driver of the Kia, who fled on foot after the crash. Police searched a marshy area between Shaw and Howard streets, and from Willetts Avenue to Hamilton Avenue for the driver.

They also searched the area of the former Miner & Alexander Lumber Co. and the train tracks to the east, with the assistance of a tracking dog and a thermal imaging unit provided by the fire department.

They had not apprehended the driver late Friday night.

New London
Buy Photo Enlarge this Image By Tim Cook
• New London fire and police personnel work the scene of a three-car crash involving a New London police cruiser Friday at the intersection of Shaw Street and Denison Avenue in New London. The crash occured around 9:45 p.m. during a police pursuit

Jan 02, 2008
New London Residence Destroyed In Late-night Fire
By Megan Bard    Published on 1/2/2008


New London - City fire personnel were forced to tackle a structure fire late Tuesday from the exterior of a yellow, multistory house on lower Truman Street because the building was engulfed in flames too quickly to allow firefighters inside.

Just before midnight, flames burst through each of the structure's front windows as thick smoke billowed from the roofline and traveled down the road toward Blackhall Street. By 12:50 a.m. Wednesday, fire personnel were reporting that the front of the house had partially collapsed.

City police blocked access to a stretch of Truman Street from behind Campo's Furniture near the police substation to Blackhall Street. At one point, firefighters had a difficult time accessing water from a nearby hydrant and had to extend a line to another location.

David Daniels and Chad Nedley of Middletown said they were driving down Truman Street in Daniels' van when they noticed smoke coming from the building. Nedley, owner of a North Branford-based repossession company and a former volunteer firefighter, said he stopped his van, jumped out and ran to the rear of the house to break a couple windows and see if anyone was inside. It was not known at press time if the house was occupied.

Nedley said in addition to the smoke, he quickly saw that electrical wires attached to the house were sparking.

Then they came crashing down. New London fire was here right after that,? Nedley said.

CL&P personnel were called to the scene to address the downed wires. A fire marshal and inspector were also called in at 12:40 a.m.

With the dropping temperatures and already slick road surface, public works employees were called to the area early Wednesday to put sand on the rapidly freezing streets to make it safe for emergency personnel.

Neither the address of the house or its owner nor the cause of the fire were known early Wednesday.

In addition to city fire, the Lawrence & Memorial paramedics responded to the scene.

This structure fire on Truman Street in New London gutted a residence early Wednesday morning.


Dec 28, 2007

Highway Collision Sends Seven To Hospital
By Chuck Potter    Published on 12/28/2007




New London — Seven people, all adults, were taken to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital in New London Thursday evening after two vehicles collided as they exited Interstate 95.

Both vehicles, a Dodge Caravan with six people aboard and a Ford van driven by an employee of DNL Refrigeration of Groton were traveling south on the highway when, apparently, the vehicles collided.

The incident occurred on the Exit 84 connector where the roadway splits for traffic headed for downtown New London, north to Route 32 and to Hodges Square.

New London Battalion Chief Thomas Cursio said all of the occupants of both vehicles went to the hospital with varying degrees of injuries, the most serious appearing to be a possible fractured hip sustained by a woman in the Dodge.

Firefighters had to cut away the rear door of the minivan to gain access to some of its occupants. The front right tire of the Ford was ripped from its axle and lay in the roadway with parts of bumpers, fenders, lights and about a half-dozen pomegranates that appeared to have fallen from the minivan. The truck was wedged beneath a mangled exit sign.

Traffic headed for downtown was diverted through Hodges Square for about 40 minutes while the scene was cleared.

Firefighters from Groton City assisted at the scene. Ambulances included two from New London, two from Waterford and one each from Mystic, Mystic River and Groton. The scene was cleared about 8:40 p.m.


Firefighters work at the scene of a two-vehicle accident on the southbound Exit 84 off-ramp on Interstate 95 in New London on Thursday

Dec 27, 2007


Car Rams Into New London AutoZone Store

By Izaskun E. Larrañeta ,    Published on 12/27/2007





New London - A driver got into the zone when he crashed his vehicle into the Auto Zone at the New London Shopping Center on South Frontage Road.

Fire and police crews responded to the scene of the accident at about 11:30 a.m. The nose of the silver Dodge Intrepid broke part of the brick foundation and a section of plate-glass window near the front entryway of the store.

Battalion Chief Marc A. Melanson said there were no injuries. He said fire crews were waiting for a building official to ascertain the building's safety.

Alfred Desoto, of 159 Hawthorne Drive, told police that he thought the car was in reverse. When he stepped on the gas pedal, however, the car lunged forward. He was charged with reckless driving.

Once the building was deemed structurally safe, the car was pulled away. Dangling glass had to be removed before fire crews could approach the gaping hole.

Izaskun E. Larrañeta

New London

Dec 07, 2007
Six Displaced In Fire On Mountain Avenue
Published on 12/7/2007


New London — A late Wednesday night fire at 2 Mountain Ave. displaced at least six people from the duplex home.

Battalion Chief Marc A. Melanson said that at 11:47 p.m. firefighters received a report of a structure fire.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, smoke was showing on every floor of the home, Melanson said. Flames were also visible on the right side of the home, he said.

Melanson said that all companies on duty responded to the call. The home, which is on the corner of Mountain Avenue and Hope Street, is in close proximity to other homes. He said because of the high winds, there was an initial concern that the fire could spread.

Power and gas in the unit were also shut down, he said.

“We launched an aggressive interior attack and ventilated the roof,” Melanson said. “The guys did an excellent job in knocking down the fire quickly.”

Melanson said the fire was extinguished about 12:05 a.m. but crews stayed on scene for several hours after doing overhaul work.

No injuries were reported.

Land records show that Mercedes Natividad owns the home. She could not be reached Thursday for comment.

Melanson said the American Red Cross assisted the displaced residents. The Regional Canteen Unit was also on scene. A Lawrence & Memorial paramedic was on standby.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

New London

Dec 04, 2007
Former Mayor's Vehicle, Garage Damaged by Fire
By Izaskun E. Larrañeta    Published on 12/4/2007


New London — Firefighters responded early this morning to a car fire that extended to a garage at 415 Pequot Ave., the home of former New London Mayor Beth Sabilia.

Battalion Chief Tom Curcio said at about 1:45 a.m. firefighters received a report of a structure fire. Units arrived at the scene within minutes and found a vehicle in the driveway fully engulfed in flames.

Curcio said the fire, which took about 15 minutes to extinguish, extended to the attached garage.

A neighbor, Scott Borgerson, who lives at 12 Granada Terrace, was alerted to the fire when he heard the car alarm sounding. He called 911 and then immediately went to alert his neighbors of the fire, Curcio said.

Sabilia, along with her husband, Sebastian DeSantis, and their two children, escaped uninjured. They stayed at Borgerson’s house until the fire was extinguished.

Curcio said the damage is estimated at $50,000 to $60,000. The 2004 Volkswagen Touareg parked in the driveway appears to be a total loss while the fire damaged the exterior and interior of the garage, he said. There was minor smoke damage to the house.

Sabilia could not be reached for comment.

The New London Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.

Dec 03, 2007
Man Shot at New London High Rise
By Julie Wernau    Published on 12/3/2007


New London - A man was shot multiple times in the hallway of a Crystal Avenue high rise early this morning, according to police, but is expected to recover from his injuries.

New London Police Capt. William Dittman said police received a 911 call at 12:07 a.m. Monday from someone saying that there had been shots fired at 40 Crystal Ave.

When police arrived, he said, they found an 18-year-old male victim with multiple gunshot wounds on the fourth-floor landing of the C building of the Thames River high rises on Crystal Avenue.

Police said the victim claimed two men wearing hooded sweatshirts and covering their faces with handkerchiefs robbed him of his money and shot him.

Dittman said it was unclear whether the victim lived in the building. He said police were not yet ready to release the victim’s name.

The 18-year-old was sent to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital by ambulance, Dittman said, and was expected to recover from his injuries. Police were able to interview several individuals and recover bullets and other evidence from the scene, Dittman said, but are asking that anyone with information regarding the incident contact police.

Police are asking anyone with information to call detectives at 447-1481. Dittman said all calls will be kept confidential.

Dec 02, 2007

Fire Empties Multifamily Home In City
By M. Matthew Clark    Published on 12/2/2007

New London — A fire broke out in a multifamily home on Bank Street Saturday at about 5:30 p.m.

Firefighters responded to a 911 call reporting a fire at 995 Bank St. near the Waterford town line. No one was injured in the blaze. All occupants of the two-story home escaped safely.

The fire was extinguished at approximately 7:30 p.m., said New London Fire Chief Ronald Samul. Samul said firefighters would monitor the building for hot spots, but that the house could not be occupied.

A resident of the second floor of the house, who declined to be identified, said he had just finished cooking dinner for his family when his daughter told him there was smoke in the kitchen.

He said he went into the kitchen and saw flames shooting from the back of the stove.

The man said he tried to use his household fire extinguisher to no avail.

From the street, flames could be seen through the windows in the front of second floor of the house and smoke was billowing from several holes in the roof.

A next-door neighbor, 18-year-old Sarah Spinnato, called 911. Her mother and father, she said, both went into the burning home to make sure everybody was out.

Paul Arroyo, 15, was on the first floor of the house when the fire broke out. He said he was using a computer in the back of the house listening to music when Spinnato's mother came and got him.

Traffic on Route 1 had to be rerouted around the area near the fire.

The American Red Cross was on scene.

New London

Nov 26, 2007


Chair Fire Damages Siding On New London House





New London — Fire officials are investigating the cause of a fire that started behind 55 Shaw St. Sunday around 6 p.m. A recliner chair on a cement surface near the stairwell caught fire and melted the siding on the rear of the house, said Battalion Chief Thomas Curcio. Damage was minimal, and none of the occupants of the multifamily house were displaced.

Nov 24, 2007
Downtown Hit-And-Run Victim Dies
NL Man Struck By Car Wednesday; Suspect Held On $250,000 Bond
By M. Matthew Clark ,    Published on 11/24/2007






New London — The victim of a hitand-run car accident that occurred Wednesday night died Friday at Yale-New Haven Hospital.

Police identified the man as 33-year-old New London resident Herman Chacha of 7 Jefferson Ave.

The exact cause of death was unknown Friday evening, New London police Capt. William Dittman said, but the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will likely perform an autopsy today.

Chacha was crossing Eugene O'Neill Drive near the intersection of Green Street about 11 p.m. Wednesday when he was hit.

Chacha was employed at Supreme Pizza on Boston Post Road in Waterford. Family members could not be reached for comment Friday evening. Employees and management at Supreme Pizza said they preferred not to comment until family members had spoken about the incident.

Beatrice Price, 27, of Westerly, whose car police say hit Chacha, was charged early Thursday morning with first-degree assault, evading responsibility, reckless driving and driving the wrong way down a one-way street.

Price was arraigned Friday morning in New London Superior Court and is being held on $250,000 bond at the Janet S. York Correctional Institution. Her next scheduled court date is Wednesday, Nov. 28.

Dittman said the state's attorney's office would decide whether additional charges would be filed against Price. He said he does not expect any other arrests in the case.

Police said Price fled the scene after the accident. Dittman said after her car hit Chacha, she turned around in the municipal parking lot and drove the wrong way up Eugene O'Neill Drive, looked at Chacha — who was in the crosswalk when he was hit — and fled the scene again, Dittman said.

With the help of several eyewitnesses, police located Price and two passengers in the car at the time of the accident. One witness followed Price by car to 96 Green St. where Price and the others were arrested a few hours after the incident.

Police charged Dionne Johnson, 19, of 96 Green St., Apt. 2D, and Stefanie Lafferty, 27, of 96 Green St. Apt. 2B with interfering with a police officer. Another man who was not in the car, 61-year-old Ronald Booth, of the same address as Lafferty, was also charged with interfering a police officer for his role in trying to hide the women from police.

The accident involving Chacha is the third serious hit-and-run accident in the area over the past six weeks. In October, Emily Vanstaen, a 16-year-old East Lyme girl, was hit and injured on Benham Road in Quaker Hill by a vehicle that fled the scene. On Friday, Nov. 9, a homeless man, Frederick K. Finn was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver on Boston Post Road in Waterford. No arrests have been reported in either case.

New London

Nov 22, 2007

Pedestrian critically injured in New London hit and run
By Matthew Clark    Published on 11/22/2007





New London -- A man sufferedsevere injuries Wednesday night after being struck by a car while crossing the street on Eugene O?Neill Drive. The car fled the scene after the accident, but police said they caught the driver a short while later.
Police charged 27-year-old Beatrice Price, of 25 Clark St., Westerly, with first-degree assault, evading responsibility, reckless driving and going the wrong way down a one-way street.
Police Capt. William Dittman said Thursday afternoon that the victim?s name is not yet being released. The victim is at Yale-New Haven Hospital in extremely serious condition, he said.
At 10:55 p.m. Wednesday, Dittman said Price struck the man near the intersection of Eugene O?Neill Drive and Green Street in downtown New London, while the man was crossing the street in the crosswalk.
Dittman said Price, who was driving a 1996 Ford Taurus, initially fled the scene, turned around in the nearby municipal parking lot and drove the wrong way down Eugene O?Neill to look at the victim, then fled the scene again.
Dittman said an eyewitness followed Price to a nearby apartment on Green Street, where Price and two others were arrested, and alerted police. Dittman praised the witness, saying the information allowed police to seize the vehicle and preserve evidence.
Also charged in the incident were Dionne Johnson, 19, of 96 Green St., Apt. 2D; Stefanie Lafferty, 27, of 96 Green St., Apt. 2B, and Ronald Booth, 61, of Green St. Apt. 2B.  The individuals were charged with interfering with a police officer.


Nov 21, 2007

Details Fuzzy As Nissan SUV Takes Out NL Fire Hydrant


 Published on 11/21/2007  THE DAY

New London - Police were investigating a one-car accident Tuesday night on Bank Street. Details of how the accident happened were unclear, and the driver of the white Nissan Armada declined to comment.

The Armada was headed south on Bank Street when it apparently went out of control, struck a fire hydrant and then a utility pole. One witness said a car that came out of Howard Street cut off the SUV. Another said the Nissan and another vehicle were traveling at a high rate of speed when the Nissan went out of control. They said the other vehicle continued on Bank Street toward Waterford.

The Nissan knocked the 250-pound hydrant 99 feet. The front left wheel of the SUV, its front bumper and fender were on the ground near the utility pole, which had a three-foot-long chunk ripped from it. The windshield was shattered and the driver's door hung precariously. The driver appeared unhurt and did not require medical attention.

Earth Tech, which manages the city's water service, shut off the water supply to the hydrant. Northeast Utilities was expected inspect the pole for serviceability.

Nov 18, 2007
The Wanted – And The Unwanted – Collected At City Firehouses

City workers sort winter clothes donated for the underprivileged










New London — With Christmas carols playing in the background, roughly half a dozen city employees Saturday organized a large collection of winter clothing they had amassed over the past three weeks at the downtown firehouse at the corner of Bank and Tilley streets.

The city's Public Works union, Local 1378 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, organized the outerwear clothes drive as an effort to collect winter coats, sweaters, fleeces, gloves and mittens to be distributed to children and adults in need with winter's impending arrival.

Just an hour into the morning's drive, 20 large black plastic bags were stuffed with various warm items of clothing, all divided by size and gender.

“We've been very successful, and it's only 10 a.m.,” said Marianna Gaynor-McGuirk, who led the three-week effort. She sits on the union's executive board, and she serves as the representative to the Southeastern Connecticut Central Labor Council.

The city's unions began the drive as a way to spread goodwill throughout New London, said Public Works employee Bill Barlow.

“We're hoping to help the community,” Barlow said.

The union tapped a variety of sources to help collect the clothes. The New London Adult Education program donated five bags alone, and there were collection bins throughout city buildings. The United Way, AT&T, New London Public Schools and Oswegatchie Elementary School in Waterford also helped out, Gaynor-McGuirk said.

The New London Senior Center donated a bagful of hand-knit gloves, mittens and scarves to the project as well.

On Monday the clothes will be transferred to the Visiting Nurses Association, which will then distribute the items throughout New London's schools through the schools' nurses.

This was the first time the union had held an outerwear clothes drive, though in the past it has organized food drives. The need for warm clothing was identified by the school system, Gaynor-McGuirk said.

Barlow said after the Thanksgiving holiday the union would likely sponsor a citywide food drive to benefit the Gemma E. Moran Food Center, which is currently suffering from a shortage of supplies.

Public Works employee Kathleen Harrington sorted the clothes into separate piles. “The greatest thing is not what we get, but what we get to give,” she said.

Nov 17, 2007


Firefighters Begin Fund Drive For Annual Scholarship
   Published on 11/17/2007

New London ?



NEW LONDON - The New London Firefighters Union Local 1522 IAFF began its annual fundraiser for the Dr. Wies and John O'Connor scholarship funds this week. The fundraiser, in its 20th year, will continue for approximately seven weeks. A telemarketer will be calling local businesses and residents for contributions.

The Dr. Wies Scholarship Trust was established in memory of Dr. Carl Wies and his dedication to the New London community. The trust provides financial assistance to graduating seniors from New London High School and surrounding school systems who intend to continue their education at an accredited institution of higher education.

The John O'Connor Memorial Scholarship Trust exists to honor the memory of acting Fire Lt. John M. O'Connor. The trust provides financial assistance to graduating seniors who are dependants of New London firefighters and who intend to continue their education at an accredited institution of higher education.

For more information regarding these scholarships, visit

PUBLISHED BY THE DAY ON 11/18/07 AND 11/19/07

Nov 15, 2007

Report of smoke leads to street closing, evacuations

By Karin Crompton    THE DAY  Published on 11/15/2007

New London - A report of smoke coming from a sidewalk utility cover in front of the former Parade News building led to evacuations and rerouting of traffic along that section of State Street.
New London Fire Department was one the scene about 3:30 p.m.
Firefighters suspected the smoke rising from an underground electrical service was coming from a blown transformer but were waiting for the arrival of a worker from Connecticut Light & Power Co. to turn off electricity to the area. Meanwhile firefighters entered the basements of adjacent buildings looking for problems, and businesses along that block of the street, between Eugene O'Neill Drive and Bank Street, including Caruso?s Music and Thames River Greenery, were evacuated.


                           THE DAY

An Electric Scene
   Published on 11/16/2007
  Buy Photo Enlarge this Image By Tim Cook
? New London firefighters clear businesses on State Street between Eugene O'Neill Drive and Bank Street Thursday after an electrical fire under the sidewalk in front of the former Parade News. All businesses were closed and residents were kept from their apartments until the situation was brought under control.

Nov 14, 2007
Bank Street reopens
By Julie Wernau    THE DAY   Published on 11/14/2007

New London -- Bank Street was closed for about 45 minutes this afternoon as firefighters investigated smoke in a downtown store that was not fire.  The owner of Marcus, a retail store on Bank Street, saw smoke and smelled a burning smell coming from downstairs at his business and summoned fire officials. The smoke and burning smell was later determined to be caused by someone, unbeknownst to the owner, using a table saw downstairs in the building. As of 4 p.m. the street was reopened.



Page Last Updated: Nov 06, 2016 (15:09:00)
Member Login


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?

 2020 NLFD RUNS:



            NLFF'S Pipes and Drums
      New website is under construction.

                 L-1522 Members

           Click on the NLFD patch for
                NLFD Live Audio


¡Los detectores de humo 
salvan vidas!  Debe probar 
su detector de humo cada 
mes.  Asegúrese de cambiar
 las baterías cada seis meses.
  Favor de llamar 860-447-5294 
si tiene preguntas.


Outside Roof
 Fire Art, by Paul Walsh

The way to be safe is to never be secure.
♦Ben Franklin♦













                  NLFD Firehouses

                Former Firehouses

Action Center
New London Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2022, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

Top of Page image