Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 

 

 Local 1522 on Social Media:
    

May 23, 2017
<< May 2017 >>
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

  
          
         NLFD Video

 

        
           NFPA 1710 Video
  

           
             Fire based EMS
    
        "The right response"

      

      NLFD Pipes & Drums  
  

    
      
              NLFF's at work
  
               

IAFF Local Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: May. 23 (15:59)

2nd Annual Burn Camp Fundraiser at Strangeways
Henrico Professional Firefighters Association
HEALTH & SAFETY BULLETIN
Cambridge Fire Fighters
Local 4727 members Lt promotional process underway
IAFF Local 4727
Team Jameson Fishing Trip 7.25.17
Professional Fire Fighters of New Hampshire
Hats For Tom
IAFF Local 3666
Pub Crawl 2017
Lawrence Professional Firefighters IAFF Local 1596
 
     
CARBON MONXIDE PROBLEM ON GARDNER AVE.
Posted On: Jan 24, 2008
Heed CO Detector's Warning, Officials Urge
By Izaskun E. Larrañeta ,    Published on 1/24/2008

 

 

 

 

New London — That beeping noise from your carbon monoxide detector may be more than just a low-battery warning.

It could be telling you that toxic gases are filling your home.

Anne Hunziker and her husband, John, heard their CO detector go off Sunday in their Gardner Avenue home, but they didn't think much of it.

They changed the batteries and continued with their daily activities.

“We both felt a little lightheaded,” said Anne Hunziker. “The next day I didn't feel so great. I went to lie in bed and then the detector went off again. I thought this was strange, so I called 911.”

When fire personnel arrived, they found that low levels of carbon monoxide were seeping into the home through a burner arranged to look like logs in a fireplace.

The Hunzikers were taken to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, where they were treated for two hours.

“Once gas devices start failing, they can get exponentially worse,” said Calvin Darrow, the city's fire marshal. “Eventually the carbon monoxide levels would have been high enough that it could have resulted in death.”

In the last two days, New London firefighters responded to two carbon monoxide incidents, the Hunzikers' and a house on Ocean Avenue on Tuesday. The occupants at the Ocean Avenue home did not require medical treatment.

Darrow said that many times people confuse the beeping noise for a low-battery warning and do not call the proper officials because they don't want to bother fire personnel.

Hunziker said she didn't immediately call 911 and instead called the routine line, which is unanswered on weekends, because she wasn't sure if it was a real emergency and didn't want to see fire crews unnecessarily line her street.

But Darrow said that could have been a deadly mistake.

“Unless you are completely sure that it is the battery, call 911 and immediately get out of the home,” said Darrow. “Don't hesitate to call.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 500 people each year die of unintentional CO exposure and an estimated 15,000 emergency room visits can be attributed to CO exposure.

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning fossil fuels. It is a colorless and odorless gas that is not only deadly but deceptive: CO poisoning often disguises itself as other illnesses.

The Hunzikers' CO detectors were one of several hundred that were installed by city fire inspectors for free. Last year, fire inspectors received a $29,000 Federal Emergency Management Agency grant to install smoke and CO detectors throughout the city.

Darrow said the city still has some detectors available, and anyone who is interested should call the Fire Marshal's Office at 447-5294.

The Hunzikers are certainly grateful they had their CO detectors installed.

“I can't say enough about the fire department,” said Anne Hunziker. “They blew out the house with big blowers, secured the home and brought the keys to the hospital. I hate to say it, but if it weren't for those detectors we may not be around.”

i.larraneta@theday.com


New London

Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?

 2017 NLFD RUNS:

2693

 

    
            NLFF'S Pipes and Drums
      New website is under construction.

        
           Click on the NLFD patch for
           
                NLFD Live Audio

 


¡Los detectores de humo 
salvan vidas!  Debe probar 
su detector de humo cada 
mes.  Asegúrese de cambiar
 las baterías cada seis meses.
  Favor de llamar 860-447-5294 
si tiene preguntas.

 

Outside Roof
 Fire Art, by Paul Walsh


The way to be safe is to never be secure.
♦Ben Franklin♦

 

    

         
        

 

       

 

 

 

            

 

 


 

    
                 L-1522 Members

   
                  NLFD Firehouses

  
                Former Firehouses

 
 
New London Fire Fighters
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image